I prefer to let singer/songwriters apologize for me.
1) Sorry I Am – Ani DiFranco
- I guess I never loved you quite as well as the way you loved me I guess I’ll never really be able to tell you how sorry I am.
See, now that doesn’t seem like a NICE apology.Â It’s an apology that makes the apologizee hurt just a bit more.Â Hey, so yeah I’m sorry that I didn’t really ever love you enough, even though you were TOTALLY into me, my bad.
There are TONS of Ani songs about apologies.Â How many can YOU name?
2) We’re Both So Sorry – Mirah
Here is another one that is not REALLY an apology
- And hey I’m sorry ’bout so much baby but I know you’ll understand
I’m sorry ’bout so much baby but I know you’ll understand
So, yeah, I’m sorry and all, but really, you get it, so I’m justifying my actions WITHIN THE APOLOGY.Â Nice, Mirah!Â That takes chutzpah.
- How can I ever apologize? I meant you no such harm I never knew I could possess that fatal kind of charm. This one is soooo good.Â It’s in the same vein as the Ani one.Â Whoa, I’m so sorry that you are so into me, I don’t know what to do about it, I mean how can I contain this awesomeness?
3) All Apologies – Nirvana
I can’t ignore this one; it would be traitorous to my alternateen soul.
- I wish I was like you, Easily amused
- Find my nest of salt
Everything is my fault
I’ll take all the blame
Aqua seafoam shame
Sunburn with freezeburn
Choking on the ashes of her enemy
Ok, that’s not nice.
Ok, so that has a hint of sincerity I guess but more hyperbole and Oh (poor) Me ness.Â Then it says some stuff that must be all poetic cause I don’t get it.Â This is why I focused on the Pumpkins and not Nirvana.
Speaking of . . .
4) Transformer – The Smashing Pumpkins
- she’s not sorry she’s happy
Oh, hey, maybe GMail is right about me, cause I don’t know if you noticed, but none of those were really apologies . . .
I guess I just live a clean life free of regrets.Â 🙂